U.S.: Americans beware in S. China
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Saying it has "credible information" of a possible terrorist threat against its facilities in the Chinese city of Guangzhou, the United States has warned Americans to remain alert in the southern part of the nation.
The information was released Sunday by the U.S. State Department on various embassy and consular offices, including the U.S. Embassy in Beijing.
"This threat also may exist for places where Americans are known to congregate or visit, including clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools or outdoor recreation events," the statement said.
"American citizens in south China are advised to be aware of their surroundings and remain alert to possible threats."
Last week, the U.S. Embassy issued and then withdrew an advisory telling Americans to be wary of a possible terror threat involving hotels in China. (Full story)
Last week's withdrawal of the warning came just hours after Beijing cast doubt on it, calling the threat "a sham fabricated by some foreign citizen."
"Chinese security authorities have determined that the source of a reported threat against four- and five-star hotels in China is not credible," the embassy statement said.
"The United States Government is not aware of any other information of any threat against hotels in China, including Hong Kong."
The threat was of particular concern as U.S. President George W. Bush plans to travel to China at the end of this week to meet with President Hu Jintao.
Bush departs Monday for a seven-day trip to visit China, Japan South Korea and Mongolia. (Full story)
|© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.