Convoys bring relief to New Orleans
Refugees cheer convoys; Bush signs $10.5 billion aid package
Programming Note: CNN correspondents throughout the region gauge the impact from the heart of disaster. (Program Schedule)
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- Four days after Hurricane Katrina devastated much of the northern Gulf Coast, tired and angry people stranded at the convention center in New Orleans welcomed a supply convoy carrying food, water and medicine with cheers and tears of joy.
It was perhaps the biggest breakthrough in a day of progress in the ravaged city.
Also on Friday, President Bush visited Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana, saying there was still a lot of work ahead for the federal government.
And after returning to Washington, Bush signed a $10.5 billion disaster relief bill. The amount includes $10 billion in supplemental funds for the Federal Emergency Management Agency and $500,000 for the Pentagon for its hurricane relief work. (Full story)
Earlier in the day, Bush termed the money a "down payment" and said it was just the beginning.
At the convention center, the thousands of people displaced by the storm -- many of whom have had little or nothing to eat since the storm hit Monday morning -- erupted when the convoy arrived, evacuee Tishia Walters told CNN by telephone.
"Flags went flying, people shouting and waving. There's like 7,000 people out here in dying conditions," she said.
Walters said she was outside of the center when the convoy of about 50 military vehicles carrying National Guard troops and police arrived.
"It's amazing. They've come in full force," she said.
Officials involved in relief efforts are dealing with a number of issues:
At a New Orleans street corner, Lt. Gen. Russel Honore directed the deployment of National Guard troops -- expected to number 1,000. (See video of the convoy roll through floodwaters -- 3:33)
Honore said getting food and water to the people at the convention center was difficult. "If you ever have 20,000 people come to supper, you know what I'm talking about," the three-star general said. "If it was easy, it would have been done already." (Honore profile)
CNN's Barbara Starr, who is traveling with the general, said Honore is "very determined to keep this looking like a humanitarian relief operation." (See the mayor's order to stop the talking and send soldiers to help -- 1:00)
"A few moments ago, he stopped a truck full of National Guard troops ... and said, 'Point your weapons down, this is not Iraq,' " Starr reported.
Authorities continued working to evacuate the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, trying to help the most at-risk people first, and the Louisiana Superdome, where thousands of people remained Friday evening.
Bush inspects hurricane-battered cities
President Bush took a helicopter tour of New Orleans on Friday afternoon with Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who a day earlier had blasted federal relief efforts in an expletive-laced diatribe.
"I'm not going to forget what I've seen," Bush said, before departing on Air Force One for Washington. "I understand the devastation requires more than one day's attention. It's going to require the attention of this country for a long period of time."
Nagin, who on Thursday night had scathing remarks for the federal government's response to the crisis, praised President Bush after Bush's trip through the region Friday. (See the mayor's demand for national leaders to 'get off their asses' -- 12:09)
Nagin said Bush was "very serious" and "very engaging" during his time in New Orleans.
"He was brutally honest. He wanted to know the truth," Nagin said. "... And we talked turkey. I think we're in a good spot now."
On Friday the president also took an aerial tour of storm damage in Alabama and walked through a neighborhood in Biloxi, Mississippi, to inspect storm damage.
The president said he is "satisfied" with the federal government's response to the Katrina disaster, although there is not "enough security in New Orleans, yet." (Full story) (Watch Bush news briefing -- 2:32)
CNN's Sean Callebs, Sanjay Gupta, Ed Lavendera, Chris Lawrence and Barbara Starr contributed to this report.
|© 2007 Cable News Network.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us. Site Map.