Five die in Saudi terror crackdown
By CNN's Caroline Faraj
Saudi officials prevented what would have been a much larger attack.
Gallery: Images of Saudi blast
(CNN) -- Saudi police shot and killed one suspected terrorist, and a second blew himself up early Friday after a police pursuit of the two suspects.
The pair had carjacked a Saudi man to escape a shootout that had already killed three other suspects, an interior ministry official said.
Saudi television quoted the official saying that four of the dead suspects were on the country's most wanted list. Investigators were still working to identify the fifth.
One policeman was wounded, the official said, and another suspect was arrested.
After the gunbattle, the official said, police found weapons, explosives and two cars that had been used in earlier attacks.
The shootout took place in a crackdown after a deadly bombing Wednesday in Riyadh, where a car bomb attack on a security forces building killed at least five people and wounded 147 others.
The interior ministry official said an ongoing investigation into terrorist plots led police to the port city of Jeddah, where the six suspects were.
Police ordered them to surrender, but they refused and instead opened fire on the police.
The battled erupted in a commercial district and progressed to the al-Safa neighborhood in northeastern Jeddah, where they surrounded the militants in a building under construction.
Two of the suspects failed in one attempt to carjack a man in the area, but shot and wounded a second and escaped with police in pursuit to the southern part of the city, where police killed one and the other killed himself with a bomb.
The ministry official said a more detailed statement would be released later.