Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
WORLD

Spanish TV airs Madrid bomb video


more videoVIDEO
Video of the March 11 bombing of a Madrid commuter train. (Viewer discretion advised)
SPECIAL REPORT
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Madrid (Spain)
Spain
Acts of terror

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Video of one of the train stations hit in the Madrid train bombings plus video of hooded figures who claim responsibility for the blasts has been shown on two Spanish television networks.

The clips first aired on the private Telecino network on Tuesday and later on state-owned EFE television, which said it got its tape from police.

About 45 seconds of video from Atocha station security cameras shows the station on March 11, with the bombs going off. The attacks killed 190 people and wounded more than 1,800.

Spanish newspapers had previously published still photos taken from the same video tape, and at that time the lead judge in the bombing investigation expressed dismay that the photos had been leaked.

The second video shows three hooded figures reading a statement threatening more attacks in Spain.

The police said they believed the three were among the seven suspected terrorists who blew themselves up on April 3 as police closed in on their hideout in Leganes, three weeks after the train bombings.

All seven were considered part of the train bombing squad, and three of them were considered to be among the ringleaders. It was not known which three people were in the video.

A third segment shows a single hooded terrorist. This is a different sequence from the Leganes trio, and police titled this segment "March 11 claim of responsibility."

It is thought that this is from the tape that police discovered on March 13 near Madrid's main mosque, two days after the bombings. It contained a videotaped claim of responsibility for the bombings.

Court documents viewed by CNN say a total of 10 bombs exploded on four commuter trains during the March 11 morning rush hour.

The bombings -- the worst attack against a Western country since the September 11 strikes in the United States -- were dubbed "Spain's 9/11."

In the wake of the attack, which was initially blamed by the government on the outlawed Basque separatist group ETA, Spain's voters rejected Jose Maria Aznar's ruling Popular Party in favor of Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero's Socialists.

Meanwhile on Tuesday, Spanish police arrested an eighth suspected radical Islamic man over a possible plot to blow up the National Court building in Madrid, Spain's interior minister said. (Full story)

Jose Antonio Alonso on Tuesday confirmed the eighth arrest, of an Algerian man in the northern city of Pamplona, in a brief statement to reporters. The arrest came the day after seven suspects were detained.

He said the group "was thinking of terrorist attacks" apparently against "the National Court or another judicial venue."


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
Search JobsMORE OPTIONS


 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.