Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
WORLD

Italy races to save Iraq hostages


more videoVIDEO
Thousands in Rome express anger over the kidnapping of two aid workers in Iraq. CNN's Alessio Vinci reports. (September 10)
SPECIAL REPORT
• Interactive: Who's who in Iraq
• Interactive: Sectarian divide
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Iraq
Italy
Silvio Berlusconi
Kidnapping

ROME, Italy -- Italy's foreign minister has flown to the Middle East to plead for the release of two hostages ahead of a purported 24-hour deadline by their captors to kill them unless Rome pulls troops from Iraq.

Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, who worked on projects to help Iraqi children, were the first Western women to be kidnapped in Iraq where militants have seized and killed dozens since last year.

They were seized at gunpoint in the Baghdad office of the aid agency "A Bridge To ..." last Tuesday along with two Iraqi colleagues.

Franco Frattini arrived first in Kuwait where he was scheduled Monday to meet government and religious officials, the Italian foreign ministry said.

Authorities in Rome say they are working hard to free the aid workers after Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was criticized last month for not doing enough to free a journalist who was later killed by kidnappers.

"In the framework of the government's political initiatives carried out to bring about the liberation of the hostages taken in Iraq, Foreign Minister Franco Frattini will undertake a mission to the Gulf region in the upcoming hours," the ministry said in a statement Sunday evening.

"Frattini will renew the appeals for solidarity and for respect for the life of innocent civilians generously working for the Iraqi people," the ministry said.

The announcement came hours after an Internet statement -- purportedly from a militant group -- that said the two women would be killed unless Italy begins withdrawing its forces from Iraq.

"We will extend our deadline 24 hours from the issue of this statement after that if we don't see Italian soldiers withdrawing from Iraq we will implement execution," said the statement signed by the Islamic Jihad Organization.

The authenticity of the statement, dated September 12, could not be verified. (Full story)

Rome sent about 2,700 troops to Iraq last year despite huge opposition at home, and has said it will not bow to demands by militants to withdraw the force.

At least seven Italians have been kidnapped in recent months in Iraq and two of them subsequently killed, including journalist Enzo Baldoni.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
Search JobsMORE OPTIONS


 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.