Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
WORLD

8 remanded over U.S. 'terror plot'


YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Great Britain
United States
Police
Acts of terror

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Eight British terror suspects charged with conspiracy to commit murder in a plot linked to financial targets in the United States have been remanded in custody by Britain's top criminal court.

The men, aged between 20 and 32 -- all accused of planning terrorist attacks using radioactive or chemical materials -- were not brought to London's historic Old Bailey but were linked to it by video for the first formal hearing.

The eight were remanded in custody until September 3.

Dressed in casual clothing, each acknowledged his name when the court clerk called them, the UK's Press Association reported.

She asked whether they could all hear clearly and they answered: "Yes."

The defendants were each introduced to their legal representatives, who were sitting in the packed courtroom.

The men are accused of taking part in two conspiracies.

The first alleges a plot to murder unspecified people between January 2000 and August 4 this year.

The second alleges plotting to commit a public nuisance by using radioactive materials, toxic gases, chemicals and/or explosives to cause disruption, fear or injury over the same period.

The men are: Dhiren Barot, 32, Qaisar Shaffi, 25, and Nadeem Tarmohammed, 26, all of Willesden, northwest London; Mohammed Zia ul Haq, 25, of Paddington, west London; Mohammed Naveed Bhatti, 24, of Harrow, northwest London; Abdul Aziz Jalil, 31, of Luton, near London; Omar Abdul Rehman, 20, of Bushey, near London; and Junade Feroze, 29, of Blackburn, northwest England.

No targets or locations are specified in the charges.

Barot and Tarmohammed are also said to have possessed between February 19 2001 and August 4 this year "a documental record, namely a reconnaissance plan concerning the Prudential building in New Jersey."

Barot also allegedly possessed between the same dates reconnaissance plans concerning the Stock Exchange in New York, the International Monetary Fund and Citigroup in New York, and two notebooks containing information on explosives, poisons, chemicals and related matters containing information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism contrary to Section 58 of the UK Terrorism Act 2000.

U.S. officials have said Barot is the man they have named over the past three weeks as Abu Musa al-Hindi or Abu Eissa al-Hindi.

Shaffi is also alleged to have possessed between the same dates "an extract of the Terrorist Handbook containing information on the preparation of chemicals, explosive recipes and other information about explosives."

Under the UK's Terrorism Act 2000, 609 people have been arrested between September 11, 2001 and June of this year, the Home Office has said.

The Home Office said 99 of those had been charged with offenses under the act, including 38 who were also charged under other legislation. Of the 99 charged, 15 have been convicted.

The remainder were released without charge, bailed to ensure their return, cautioned, charged under other legislation or dealt with under immigration or mental health legislation, the Home Office said.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
Search JobsMORE OPTIONS


 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.