Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
WORLD

3 more Madrid suspects arraigned

From CNN Madrid Bureau Chief Al Goodman

story.madrid2.afp.jpg
The Madrid bombings killed 190 people and wounded 1,800.

Story Tools

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Madrid (Spain)
Acts of terror

MADRID, Spain (CNN) -- Three more suspects in last month's deadly train bombings in Madrid will be arraigned Tuesday, a National Court spokeswoman told CNN.

They were arrested last Thursday in the Madrid area and include a Saudi, an Egyptian and a Moroccan.

Under Spain's anti-terrorism law, suspects can be held for five days before arraignment.

A Bosnian suspect in the bombings, who returned to Spain from Sweden late Friday to surrender to police, has been questioned and released without being charged.

Spanish authorities wanted to talk to Sanel Sjekirika, 23, in connection with possibly financing Islamic terrorist activities.

As a result of the investigation, police discovered that Sjekirika also had known a Tunisian man who was a suspected coordinator of the March 11 attacks on Madrid commuter trains, a Spanish Interior Ministry spokesman said. The bombings killed 190 people.

Last Wednesday, Sjekirika told a Bosnian newspaper he was innocent before returning to Spain.

Sjekirika studied at the University of Oviedo in northern Spain, the spokesman said, and helped obtain university enrollment there and scholarship aid for a Tunisian man, Sarhane Ben Abdelmajid Fakhet. Fakhet was later described in an international arrest warrant as "coordinator" of the Madrid attacks.

He was among the seven suspected terrorists who blew themselves up April 3 in an apartment in the Madrid southern suburb of Leganes as police raided their hideout.

Four of the dead suspects, including Fakhet, have been identified. DNA tests are being done to determine the identities of the other three, whose bodies were severely mangled.

Then-Interior Minister Angel Acebes gave details Friday about the three newly arrested suspects, saying that police believe the Moroccan, who had been sought since March 11, knew others linked to the plot.

Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero installed a new cabinet over the weekend.

Acebes said police have evidence linking the Saudi and the Egyptian to some of the people who carried out the attacks, and they want to see if these two had involvement or collaborated in any way.

The National Court has charged 18 people in the bombings, 14 of them Moroccans. The others charged are a Syrian, a Spaniard and two natives of India. Some of the 18 have been charged with mass murder in the deaths, while others face lesser charges of collaborating with a terrorist group.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
 
 
 
 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.