Serbs protest over Karadzic raid
(CNN) -- Hundreds of Bosnian Serbs have been protesting after two people were wounded by NATO troops hunting war crimes suspect Radovan Karadzic.
About 40 soldiers -- mainly from the United State and Britain -- took part in the unsuccessful raid early Thursday in Pale, a suburb of Sarajevo where the former Bosnian Serb leader had his base during the Bosnian war.
Video from the scene showed heavily armed members of NATO's Stabilization Force (SFOR) sealing off the area and taking up positions around an Orthodox church, which they stormed.
Two civilians in the building suffered blast wounds and were airlifted by helicopter to a hospital for treatment, said SFOR spokesman Dave Sullivan.
A spokeswoman at the hospital in the northern town of Tuzla told Reuters that a priest and his son suffered head injuries and underwent surgery.
The news agency reported that a crowd of about 400 Serbs, many of whom regard their wartime leader as a hero, gathered outside the church. "Killers," shouted one woman.
One man wore a Karadzic mask and others held Serb flags and banners reading: "Just Go Ahead Barbarians, Kill the Priest" and "No one will catch a Serb."
Pale Mayor Milivoje Gutalj denounced NATO "vandalism" and Bosnian Foreign Minister Mladen Ivanic, a moderate Serb, said injuring clergy was "absolutely unacceptable," according to Reuters.
Sullivan would not elaborate on the intelligence that led NATO troops to believe Karadzic was in the building in Pale. There is a $5 million reward posted on him.
The building, Sullivan said, was adjacent to a church that was searched earlier this year.
In that operation, NATO officials believe Karadzic slipped away shortly before they arrived.
For the past six years, Karadzic is believed to have moved around mountainous east Bosnia and neighboring Montenegro. Western officials have said they suspect Orthodox priests have sheltered him in monasteries.
Karadzic and Bosnian Serb commander Ratko Mladic were indicted by the War Crimes Tribunal for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys. Mladic also remains at large.
NATO has intensified the manhunt for Karadzic since January, raiding homes and questioning possible suspects.
In one operation, three masked members of SFOR jumped from a van and snatched Karadzic's former bodyguard off the street in a dramatic morning raid as he walked his daughter to school in the city of Bijeljina.
The bodyguard has since been turned over to local police.
In other Balkan developments, the U.S. State Department said it was cutting off millions of dollars of new assistance to Serbia because Secretary of State Colin Powell could not certify to Congress that Serbia and Montenegro was cooperating with the war crimes tribunal at the Hague.
"We call on the authorities in Belgrade to cooperate fully with the tribunal by arresting and transferring their fugitive indictees, particularly Ratko Mladic, to face justice before the tribunal," said J. Adam Ereli, a State Department spokesman.
"It's important to point out that if Serbia and Montenegro takes action in the future, the secretary is prepared to review such actions to determine whether they meet the requirements of the law."