Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
World

Karadzic's guard handed to police

Radovan Karadzic, wanted by a U.N. war crimes tribunal for charges including genocide, remains at large.
Radovan Karadzic, wanted by a U.N. war crimes tribunal for charges including genocide, remains at large.

Story Tools

EXTRA INFORMATION
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Follow the news that matters to you. Create your own alert to be notified on topics you're interested in.

Or, visit Popular Alerts for suggestions.

(CNN) -- The former bodyguard to Radovan Karadzic -- the ex-Bosnian Serb leader wanted by a U.N. war crimes tribunal -- was handed over to local police Tuesday by NATO peacekeepers, following a month of intense questioning.

Zeljko Jankovic, known as Luna, was captured last month when three masked members of NATO's Stabilization Force (SFOR) jumped from a van and snatched him off the street in a dramatic morning raid as he walked his daughter to school in the city of Bijeljina, according to local reports at the time.

Jankovic was then taken to an undisclosed location and questioned about his possible knowledge of the whereabouts of Karadzic and other possible war crime suspects.

"SFOR is satisfied with the current status of our investigation into the People Indicted For War Crimes support networks, and should new intelligence surface regarding Mr. Jankovic, we are prepared to act on it," SFOR said in a statement Tuesday.

"Those indicted war criminals that remain at large have no permanent hiding place."

The statement said Jankovic was released by SFOR Tuesday morning and handed over to police in the Republic of Srpska, the Bosnian Serb territory within Bosnia-Herzegovina.

SFOR has intensified its manhunt for war criminals in the region over the last two months, raiding homes and questioning possible suspects.

Jankovic is suspected of being involved in a network of people aiding indicted war crimes suspects.

Karadzic, who has a $5 million reward posted on him, and Bosnian Serb commander Ratko Mladic were indicted by the War Crimes Tribunal for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre of up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys. Mladic also remains at large.

SFOR authorities believe Karadzic is hiding somewhere in the Republic of Srpska.

The fresh manhunt comes nearly two years after Karadzic evaded a massive NATO operation to track him down in a remote village. In that raid, NATO forces stormed a compound in the village of Celebici after receiving intelligence Karadzic was there. But by the time NATO forces arrived, Karadzic was nowhere to be found.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
 
 
 
 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.