Timeline: Bird flu crisis unfolds
Bangkok has promised swift action in a country already culling millions of chickens and disinfecting farms.
Nations hit by bird fluS. Korea
Suspected bird flu
Taiwan (different strain)
(CNN) -- Since South Korea confirmed a bird flu outbreak in December, authorities have been scrambling to crack down on a disease which has already resulted in human deaths and is ravaging chicken farms in Asia.
In little over a month, avian influenza has been confirmed in nine nations, prompting the World Health Organization to declare it could be more potentially dangerous than SARS, which swept through Asia last year.
Following is a timeline detailing how the crisis unfolded.
15 December 2003
• S Korea confirms bird flu outbreak
• The United Nations sends help to Vietnam after bird flu outbreak
• First of six Vietnamese deaths confirmed from bird flu
• Japan confirms bird flu outbreak
• Taiwan reports different strain of bird flu
• Laos reports suspected chicken cholera
• Vietnam says 900,000 chickens possibly exposed to virus sold to public
• Thailand confirms first human cases of bird flu
• Cambodia confirms bird flu in chickens
• Indonesia confirms it has been hit by the disease
• Thai PM admits his government suspected a bird flu outbreak for weeks
• China bans poultry from Thailand and Cambodia, joining the EU and Japan
• Thailand announces first human death from bird flu
• Pakistan reports it has bird flu
• Laos confirms it has bird flu