Skip to main content
The Web    CNN.com      Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!
U.S.

Girl burned when cell phone catches fire


story.cell.phone.jpg
A cell phone and jeans pocket are charred after the phone suddenly caught fire Thursday.
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Wireless Phones
Verizon Communications

(CNN) -- A 16-year-old California girl suffered second degree burns Thursday when her cell phone caught fire in her back pocket, according to the Ontario Fire Department.

The teenager was volunteering at an Ontario youth recreation center when witnesses heard a loud "whooshing" sound, said Frank Huddleston, a fire department investigator.

Huddleston said the victim didn't even know what was happening, and witnesses said they thought it was fireworks.

Witness then saw her pocket explode with smoke and fire, he said.

The girl was in a kitchen and near a pot of water, so the flames were quickly extinguished, Huddleston said.

The victim was transported to Chino Valley Medical Center where she was treated and released with small second-degree burns to her right buttock.

The phone is a Verizon Kyocera, but because of damage investigators could not tell the model number.

Ontario is east of Los Angeles near San Bernardino.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Father guilty of killing 9 of his children
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
Search JobsMORE OPTIONS


 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.