Gullit set for Feyenoord comeback
Gullit's last club job was with Newcastle in 1999.
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- Former Dutch star Ruud Gullit is set to take charge of Feyenoord next season, the Rotterdam club have announced.
Gullit, previously in charge at English sides Chelsea and Newcastle, has been working with the Dutch under-19 squad and requires permission from the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) to take up the post.
"I always wanted to work as coach of Feyenoord," said the 41-year-old, who won his first title as a player with the club in 1984.
"The club still means something special for me. The KNVB knows that as well, so I don't expect that they will deprive that chance to me."
Feyenoord announced last week that coach Bert van Marwijk would leave at the end of the season.
They also sacked technical director Rob Baan, replacing him on Monday with another former Feyenoord player Mark Wotte, more recently a coach with Willem II.
"The fact that Gullit and Wotte played at Feyenoord in their younger years and both know the club culture naturally played a role," club chairman Jorien van den Herik said on Feyenoord's Web site.
Gullit moved on from Feyenoord to Italy's AC Milan where he won three European Cups and two world player of the year awards. He also led the Netherlands to victory at the 1988 European championships in Germany.
He quit club coaching in 1999 following an unsuccessful spell with Newcastle.
Feyenoord are currently fourth in the Dutch first division, nine points behind leaders Ajax.