Source: Bryant accuser determined to go to trial
(CNN) -- The 20-year-old woman accusing Kobe Bryant of sexual assault is "beyond the point where she's worried about negative press" and is ready for his trial to begin, a source close to her said earlier this week.
Speculation the woman might not want to go forward with the trial had already surfaced before Judge Terry Ruckriegle ruled last Friday that elements of her sexual past will be allowed to be aired. (Full story)
John Clune, the woman's attorney, had acknowledged earlier in July that his client had considered dropping out of the case. (Full story)
The source told CNN that the woman's decision could "all be subject to re-evaluation; there are no guarantees." But as of Tuesday, the woman had decided to continue with the case.
A decision to drop the case would have to be made by the district attorney's office, but if the accuser dropped out, it would be a practical impossibility to pursue the case.
Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, echoed the woman's feelings and said, "We're still planning on moving forward toward a trial."
Bryant, 25, has pleaded not guilty to felony sexual assault, saying he had consensual sex with the woman at the Vail-area resort where she worked last summer. If convicted, the Los Angeles Lakers star faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.
Bryant's trial is scheduled to start with jury selection on August 27.