Skip to main content
CNN EditionWorld
The Web     
Powered by
powered by Yahoo!

U.S. military details demise of Hussein's sons

The villa in which Uday and Qusay Hussein were barricaded in Mosul was cordoned off by Iraqi police for the attack, according to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez.
The villa in which Uday and Qusay Hussein were barricaded in Mosul was cordoned off by Iraqi police for the attack, according to Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez.

Story Tools

more video VIDEO
CNN's Rym Brahimi on Iraqis in Baghdad waking up to news of the deaths of the Hussein brothers.
premium content

Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez confirms Uday and Qusay Hussein are dead.
premium content

Shots from the aftermath of the firefight in Mosul.
premium content

CNN's Christiane Amanpour on Uday and Qusay Hussein.
premium content
• Interactive: Who's who in Iraq
• Interactive: Sectarian divide

(CNN) -- Wednesday morning a U.S. military leader detailed the operation on Tuesday that ended in the deaths of Saddam Hussein's sons Uday and Qusay.

During a briefing, Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who leads ground forces in Iraq, described the assault that spanned four hours in a crowded neighborhood in northeastern Mosul.

Below are excerpts from that briefing describing the run-up to the battle and military actions and decisions during the firefight:

Monday evening:

An Iraqi citizen informs U.S. forces that Uday and Qusay Hussein are in a house in Mosul.

Coalition forces began planning the assault on the three-story house and decide to use Iraqi police to establish and secure a perimeter in the surrounding area.


10 a.m.: Weapons squads and anti-tank platoons of the U.S. Army 101st Airborne Divisions establish a cordon and isolate the area.

An Iraqi interpreter uses a bullhorn outside the house to urge its occupants to come out.

10:10 a.m.: U.S. troops enter the house and a firefight ensues. Three soldiers are wounded on the stairs to the second floor, where the occupants are barricaded. Sanchez said he believes the suspects fired on the soldiers with AK-47s.

The coalition troops retreat.

10:45 a.m.: U.S. military begins a preparatory attack, using Mark-19 grenade launchers, AT-4 rockets and 50-caliber machine guns mounted on Humvees.

11:45 a.m.: A coalition commander decides to add rocket and machine gun fire from Delta Kiowa helicopters.

11:50 a.m.: The commander adds an anti-tank platoon to the assault team.

11:55 a.m.: The Kiowa helicopter finishes its preparatory gunfire and U.S. troops attempt to enter the house a second time five minutes later.

12 p.m.: Soldiers once again receive more gunfire from the barricaded second floor and retreat.

1 p.m.: U.S. commanders employ more rockets, machine guns and Humvee-mounted TOW missiles, firing 10 missiles into the house. Commanders decide not to use Apache helicopters, fearing civilian deaths.

Military officials said they believe that assault killed three of the four people in the house.

1:21 p.m.: Coalition troops enter the house for the third time, receiving no gunfire as they climb stairs to the second floor. Once on the second floor, the surviving male shoots at them and troops kill him.

2 p.m.: Coalition forces secure the building and find four bodies. They search the site for intelligence information.

Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
   The Web     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser. does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.