Police release bomb suspect sketch
JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- Indonesian police have released a sketch of their main suspect in Tuesday's Jakarta bomb blast which killed at least 14 people and wounded more than 100 others.
The sketch is of a person who reportedly bought the vehicle -- a Toyota Kijang van -- which was packed with explosives then detonated using a mobile phone signal outside the JW Marriott hotel in central Jakarta.
The seller of the car said he did not know the name or address of the buyer but provided details for the sketch, authorities said. The man is thought to have bought the vehicle about two weeks ago.
Police say body parts were found inside the car, but they have not determined if it was a suicide bombing. Investigators have said they do not know who was inside the vehicle and are trying to get fingerprints.
Phone parts were also found inside the car, but authorities said they're uncertain whether it was there before the blast.
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the Marriott attack but police say they are rapidly closing in on those responsible, believed to be members of the al Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah terror group.
The bomb was constructed in a way similar to those in last year's Bali nightclub bombings and the explosion at a Philippine ambassador's residence in 2000, authorities said.
Forensics experts combing the twisted wreckage outside the Marriott said one of the bomb ingredients was potassium chlorate -- the same chemical used in the October 2002 attacks in Bali that killed more than 200 people.
Last month, a raid on a suspected terrorist bomb-making factory netted a large quantity of potassium chlorate and a suspected member of JI.
In the past few weeks, police have said, there were warnings that the group might be planning a major attack.
The U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency issued an updated warning about a possible terrorist attack to U.S. military commanders in the last two weeks based on information from the Indonesian government, defense department officials said Wednesday.
One official said the update warned of the possibility that a "suicide attack was in the final planning stages."
On Wednesday, U.S. President George W. Bush called Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri to offer his condolences.
"The president emphasized that the United States stands with the people of Indonesia in their fight against terrorism," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said in a written statement.
"He offered any and all assistance in bringing those responsible for the terrorist attack to justice," it said.
Paper: Blast linked to trial
Singapore's Straits Times on Wednesday quoted a reputed Jemaah Islamiyah operative as saying the group was behind the bombing.
The attack was a warning to Indonesian President Megawati Sukarnoputri that suspects on trial in the Bali bombings should not be found guilty or face the death penalty, the unidentified man told the newspaper.
A verdict is due Thursday in the case of Amrozi bin Nurhasyim, who is accused of planting bombs in the Bali attacks.
The 41-year-old mechanic allegedly brought the van and chemicals to make one of the bombs. Another 32 people also face trial over the attacks. (Judgement day for "smiling bomber")
Megawati's government has promised to implement stricter security measures but has not given any details of its plans.
Australia warns of new attacks
Australia's foreign minister warned Wednesday that there could be another terrorist attack in coming days.
"We have particular concerns at the moment about central Jakarta and also other places in Indonesia. There could be a further terrorist attack in the next week or so," Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said.
"It is very important that people take this warning seriously."
Downer's spokesman said the warning was based on intelligence received in the hours after Tuesday's bombing but declined to give details.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard dispatched a team of bomb and crime scene specialists to Indonesia to help authorities hunt down those responsible for the hotel bombing.
The team will join other Australian investigators who have been working with Indonesian police since the Bali attacks. Eighty-eight Australians were among the victims of those bombings.
-- CNN Jakarta Bureau Chief Maria Ressa and Correspondents Andrea Koppel, Atika Shubert and Barbara Starr contributed to this report.