Skip to main content
CNN EditionWorld
The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!

SARS, the lonely disease

From Andrew Brown
CNN

A subway messageboard filled with thanks to staff who helped SARS patients.
A subway messageboard filled with thanks to staff who helped SARS patients.

Story Tools

RELATED
• Frequently Asked Questions: SARS 
• Country breakdown: Suspect and probable cases of SARS 
• Special report: SARS: Mystery illness on the move 
• TIME.com: China and SARS external link

SARS FACTS

Suspect case: A person who develops high fever (greater than 38 C / 100.4 F) and respiratory symptoms such as cough, breathing difficulty or shortness of breath, within 10 days of

1) having had close contact with a person who is a suspect or probable case of SARS.
or
2) having traveled to or resided in an affected area.

Probable case:  A suspect case with chest X-ray findings of pneumonia or respiratory distress syndrome.

QUICKVOTE
What should be done to prevent the further spread of SARS?

More travel bans
More quarantine
More medical checks
Enough being done
VIEW RESULTS

SINGAPORE (CNN) -- SARS patients in Singapore who have been sent to an intensive care ward are not just sick -- they are also very lonely.

Due to the highly infectious nature of the illness, they are allowed visits from only one relative and separated from their loved one by a protective glass panel. There are no exceptions to that rule.

Singapore doctor, Lawrence Lee, is working closely with patients of the virus that has struck down more than 170 Singaporeans and killed 16.

"We've had a few patients who are dying in the ICU (intensive care unit). In that case, we let them look through glass, and even then there was no contact at all," he says.

That may sound harsh, but officials in Singapore say their policy of isolating SARS sufferers stops the disease spreading around the community.

Out on the street the policy seems to be working, where only a few are wearing facemasks. Many people say they feel safe and are getting on with their lives as normal.

The Singapore government began isolating patients early, and on March 24 friends and relatives of infected people were also ordered to remain in their homes or face prosecution.

The Hong Kong government waited until April 10 to introduce similar measures and by that time the disease had swept through many residential areas.

In contrast, Singapore officials say, they have contained SARS mainly within the hospital system.

Singapore Minister of State for Health, Balaji Sadasivan explains the numbers.

"In fact," he says, "more than 85 per cent caught their infection in the hospital and the remaining 15 per cent caught it at home from the relatives when they had fallen ill."

People at risk from the disease in their own homes are under surveillance. Cameras have been set up in their apartments so officials can make sure they don't violate their quarantine.

"We have not received any resistance," says Alvin Seng, a protection and enforcement official.

Some doctors say SARS can be controlled more easily in a society like Singapore where ordinary people trust their leaders to make the right choices.

"I think in Singapore people are more adaptable to quick rules and regulations," says Singapore doctor, Wei Siang Yu.

With the epidemic continuing though it may take more than effective government to defeat this disease.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
 
 
 
 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.