Mumbai bomb suspect 'shot dead'
NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Indian police say they have shot dead the mastermind behind last month's twin bomb blasts in Mumbai that killed 53 people and wounded more than 150.
Authorities released only the man's first name, Nassir. Another person with him was also killed, police said.
Nassir is the head of Gujarat Muslim Revenge Force, a group affiliated with the Kashmiri separatist group Lashkar-e-Taiba, Deputy Commissioner of Police Pradeep Sawant said.
Two other men and two women have been charged in connection with the attack.
Sawant said Nassir assembled the explosives and provided them to the people who carried out the attack.
The explosives, placed inside the trunks of taxi cabs, on August 25 struck a gateway to an Indian monument and a crowded marketplace.
Police had learned Friday that Nassir was traveling in a car, and when they tried to stop it at about 10:15 p.m. (12:45 p.m. ET), the two men inside the car started shooting, Sawant said.
The two were wounded by return fire and were taken to a hospital, where they were pronounced dead on arrival, he said.
In the car, authorities found revolvers and gelatin sticks -- high-intensity explosives slightly larger than cigars -- as well as detonators and timers, Sawant said.
Under India's Prevention of Terrorism Act, any conviction in the Mumbai bombings could result in the death sentence.
Five people, including a teenage girl and her parents in Bombay, have been detained in connection with the bombings.
Three suspects appeared in a Mumbai court on September 1 to face charges under India's strict anti-terrorism laws in connection the bombings. (Full story)
Mumbai is a city of more than 10 million people with a large Muslim population.
In recent months, Mumbai has suffered a string of explosions blamed on Muslim militants.
-- CNN Correspondent Ram Ramgopal contributed to this report.