Skip to main content
CNN EditionWorld
The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
SERVICES
 
 
 
SEARCH
Web CNN.com
powered by Yahoo!

Indonesia terror warnings renewed

The beginning of trials for Bali bombing suspects is increasing security fears.
The beginning of trials for Bali bombing suspects is increasing security fears.

Story Tools

SPECIAL REPORT

CANBERRA, Australia (CNN) -- The Australian government has renewed its terror warnings for Indonesia, saying it is continuing to receive intelligence concerning planned attacks on Westerners.

The updated alert comes as the first trial of a suspect in the October 12 Bali bombings gets underway amid massive security on the tourist island.

More than 200 people were killed in that attack, 88 of them Australians.

"We continue to receive reports suggesting that terrorist elements in Indonesia are planning attacks," the department of foreign affairs said in its warning.

The department advises Australians to defer non-essential travel to Indonesia, including Bali.

Australians are also advised to avoid all travel to Surabaya, west Timor, Maluku and North Maluku, Aceh, remote parts of South, Central, and East Kalimantan, North and Central Sulawesi, and Papua.

Special caution was urged for Australians in central Java, especially around Solo -- the hometown of detained religious leader Abu Bakar Ba'asyir.

Ba'asyir is reportedly the spiritual leader of Jemaah Islamiyah, an al Qaeda-linked Islamic group believed to be responsible for the Bali attacks and other terrorist acts.

"Australians should note that the possible arrest and trials of extremist leaders by the Indonesian authorities could prompt a strong reaction from their supporters, including possible demonstrations," the alert says.

"Given these risks, Australians should continue to exercise extreme caution throughout the country in all commercial and public places frequented by foreigners," the department says, adding that particular care should be taken to avoid public demonstrations.

Australia had also warned its citizens at the weekend to avoid travelling to Saudi Arabia because of a heightened threat to Westerners.

That travel warning has also been revised following the Riyadh car bomb attacks earlier this week which have killed at least 30 people, including a 39-year-old Australian man.

Another Australian was injured in the blasts.

A government spokeswoman said Australians who were in Saudi Arabia and were concerned for their security should consider leaving the country.


Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Iran poll to go to run-off
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards
 
 
 
 

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
SEARCH
   The Web    CNN.com     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser.
CNN.com does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.