Skip to main content
CNN EditionU.S.
The Web     
Powered by
powered by Yahoo!

Maryland's I-68 re-opens after huge pileup

Rescue personnel inspect wrecked cars after a multi-vehicle accident in western Maryland.

Story Tools

FINZEL, Maryland (CNN) -- Maryland State Police reopened Interstate 68 early Saturday afternoon 24 hours after a string of fog-induced, chain-reaction pileups jammed the road, killing two motorists and injuring nearly 100 others.

State Police Sgt. R. Eilerman said more than 80 vehicles had been removed from the roadway, a main corridor into the Appalachian Mountains from several East Coast cities, and taken to the firehouse in nearby Finzel.

The area is prone to fog, officials said. The National Transportation Safety Board said it was sending an investigator to Maryland to aid in the investigation.

Garrett County Sheriff's Dept. Communications Operator Bill Wiltison told CNN that the first accident occurred around 1:20 p.m. Friday, and the largest, involving about 50 vehicles, began almost an hour later.

"It's the fog," he said. "It's really thick up there."

The fog had not cleared as darkness settled hours later over Big Savage Mountain, hampering efforts to clear the accident sites.

Wrecked vehicles line Interstate 68 in western Maryland.
Wrecked vehicles line Interstate 68 in western Maryland.

A 17-mile stretch of the highway was closed in both directions, forcing Memorial Day holiday travelers to detour on their way to mountain destinations.

"Everyone's headed here for the weekend," Wiltison said. "It's the getaway place for people in Baltimore and Philadelphia."

Eilerman said the highway was cleared of cars and debris shortly after noon and the eastbound lanes were reopened. The westbound lanes were reopened about an hour later.

One of the fatalities occurred when a man got out of his car and was hit by another vehicle, police said. The other was a passenger in a car.

Six people were admitted to Sacred Heart Hospital and Memorial Hospital in Cumberland, Maryland, on Friday and all six remain hospitalized, according to a spokeswoman for Western Maryland Health System, which runs the two hospitals. About 15 others were treated and released; dozens more required no treatment.

One victim in critical condition was transferred to the University of Maryland's Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, more than 100 miles away.

Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
Father guilty of killing 9 of his children
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
   The Web     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser. does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.