Skip to main content
CNN EditionLaw
The Web     
Powered by
powered by Yahoo!
Iraq Banner

Grenade attack suspect back in U.S.

Suspect Sgt. Asan Akbar was questioned soon after Sunday's attack.
Suspect Sgt. Asan Akbar was questioned soon after Sunday's attack.

Story Tools

more video VIDEO
U.S. Army holds a sergeant in the Kuwait grenade attack.
premium content
•  Commanders: U.S. | Iraq
•  Weapons: 3D Models

FORT CAMPBELL, Kentucky (CNN) -- A U.S. soldier suspected of killing two fellow servicemen and wounding 14 others last week in a grenade attack in Kuwait is back in the United States, authorities said Saturday.

Sgt. Hasan Akbar, 31, who has not yet been formally charged, returned Friday to the United States after being held at the Mannheim Confinement Center, a maximum security facility near an Army airfield in Germany, according to a statement issued Saturday from his home post at Fort Campbell.

The FBI -- which is assisting in the Army investigation -- searched a storage unit Wednesday used by Akbar near the post, U.S. officials said. The search took place after federal agents received a search warrant for the facility, the officials said.

Owners of the storage facility said they did not now whether the investigators took anything.

A combat engineer with the 101st Airborne Division's 326th Engineer Battalion, Akbar is suspected of lobbing four grenades at soldiers' tents as they slept March 23 in Kuwait. Akbar is also accused of shooting at the soldiers as they fled their tents.

Killed immediately was Army Capt. Christopher Scott Seifert, 27, of Easton, Pennsylvania. Idaho Air National Guard Maj. Gregory Stone, 40, died Tuesday of wounds he received in the attack.

Last week, a U.S. military magistrate found there was adequate cause to keep Akbar in custody pending an investigation and military trial. The Army stressed that Akbar is innocent until proved guilty.

CNN Correspondent David Mattingly contributed to this report

Story Tools
Subscribe to Time for $1.99 cover
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Ex-Tyco CEO found guilty
Top Stories
CNN/Money: Security alert issued for 40 million credit cards

International Edition
CNN TV CNN International Headline News Transcripts Advertise With Us About Us
   The Web     
Powered by
© 2005 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.
external link
All external sites will open in a new browser. does not endorse external sites.
 Premium content icon Denotes premium content.
Add RSS headlines.