Chavez supporters protest coup ruling
CARACAS, Venezuela (CNN) -- National Guard troops in Venezuela's capital blocked the streets Wednesday as supporters of President Hugo Chavez gathered to protest a Supreme Court ruling that four top military officers will not face trial for their role in an attempted coup in April.
Eleven justices voted in favor of the officers, eight voted against. There was no immediate response from Chavez.
Several lines of troops took positions along a city street, blocking demonstrators from approaching the Supreme Court building, occasionally firing tear gas to scatter groups milling about in front of them.
Supporters and opponents of Chavez had demonstrated as they awaited the verdict during the day.
Two army generals and two navy admirals argued that their actions in the military's takeover of the government came after armed forces commander Gen. Lucas Rincon said Chavez resigned on April 11 amid demonstrations and rioting, something that was later disputed by Chavez.
Since taking office in 1998, Chavez had faced growing protests from many in Venezuela who opposed his autocratic rule.
On April 11, Venezuela's military declared it was in control of the country after a day of demonstrations by tens of thousands turned violent, leaving 12 people dead from gunfire and dozens more wounded.
Accusations emerged that government supporters, under orders from the Chavez government, had fired on the demonstrators. That set off more street protests.
On April 12, with Chavez's whereabouts a mystery, Rincon announced the president had resigned and that businessman Pedro Carmona Estanga had been appointed interim president.
But the next day Carmona resigned and former Vice President Diosdado Cabello was sworn in as head of government.
That evening some 3,000 members of Chavez's national honor guard took control of the presidential palace, refusing to lay down their arms until they heard from Chavez himself.
Chavez's wife announced she had spoken with her husband by telephone and that he denied he had resigned; she said he had been forced into custody.
On April 14, Chavez was back in power, expressing regrets for the deaths of the 12 demonstrators and promising not to take reprisals against opponents who had briefly ousted him.
In July, the U.S. State Department found that the United States did not play a role in the coup attempt.
The administration did not deny reports that senior members of the Bush administration had met several times with leaders of the group that had toppled Chavez, but denied it gave any approval to coup planners.
Carter arrives in Venezuela for talks
July 6, 2002
Venezuela changes entry requirement
June 12, 2002
Hugo Chavez discusses Venezuelan coup
May 4, 2002
Venezuela's Chavez back in power, calls for unity
April 14, 2002
Embassy official: U.S. personnel not involved in coup
April 18, 2002
Pentagon to review role in Venezuela
April 23, 2002
U.S.: Chavez 'provoked' crisis that led to ouster
April 12, 2002
Oil rebounds as Chavez returns
April 15, 2002
Harris Whitbeck: Calm in Caracas as power shifts
April 12, 2002
State Dept. statement on Venezuela crisis
April 12, 2002
WORLD TOP STORIES:
Blix: 'Iraq could do more'
N. Korea warns of nuclear conflict
Serb hardliner refuses to plead
NASA: Flight-deck video found
Caracas tense after bombs
|Back to the top|