Seven charged in Chicago beating deaths
CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Six men and a teenage boy have been charged with killing two men who were dragged from their crashed van and beaten by a mob in a South Side neighborhood earlier this week, authorities in Chicago said Saturday.
They were charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of felony murder based on mob action, and two counts of mob action, said Jerry Lawrence, spokesman for the Cook County state's attorney's office.
The teenager is being charged as an adult, he said.
We're "charging them with everything that we can," Lawrence said.
Lawrence identified the seven as Ricky Lawson, 43; Lamont Motes, 20; Robert Tucker, 20; Henry Lawrence, 47; Roosevelt Lawrence, 43; James Ousley, 31; and Antonio Fort, 16. Police confirmed the charges and the identities of the suspects, who are in police custody.
The incident began early Tuesday night when the van went out of control and struck the front porch of a home, injuring three women. Police said a group of people then pulled out the passenger and driver and beat them.
The victims were Jack Moore, 62, the van driver, and Anthony Stuckey, 49. Both died at a hospital.
Jerry Lawrence, who is not related to the Lawrence suspects, said it is likely in such cases that indictments would be handed down by the grand jury.
If there is no indictment, a preliminary hearing would be held in which the state would show probable cause to a judge for putting them on trial.
Lawrence said bond hearings will take place over the next few days.
U.S. TOP STORIES:
Report: SUVs pose danger
Title IX minority pushes enforcement
Robert Blake goes to court
Judge orders man's mouth taped shut
Chicago Mayor Daley wins fifth term
|Back to the top|