Hollywood stars shine on Democrats
CNN Washington Bureau
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hollywood stars might love the political spotlight, but politicians probably love Hollywood's deep pockets even more.
A majority of that money -- 61 percent -- went to Democrats, with the remaining 39 percent going to Republicans.
While it's no surprise entertainment types favor Democrats, it's worth noting the amount of money given to Republicans has increased significantly since the 1990 election cycle. Just over a quarter of the industry's donations went to Republican candidates in 1990, versus the 73 percent that went to Democratic candidates.
However, Democrats scored the individual donor coup of the cycle with a $7.7 million check from media mogul Haim Saban. The creator of the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," Saban gave the DNC the money to put toward a new headquarters.
Barbara Streisand tops the list of biggest celebrity donors, handing out $56,000, all to Democrats. Big names like Rob Reiner, Michael Douglas, Jimmy Buffett, Ron Howard and Jane Fonda have also opened their wallets to politicians in this election cycle.
Still, it's the presidential elections that draw the big names and their big bucks. During the last presidential election, the entertainment industry donated more than $37 million to candidates.
ALLPOLITICS TOP STORIES:
Karzai to U.S.: 'Stay with us'
Coast Guard joins Homeland Department
Frist offers hope to governors
Suit alleges hostility to Hispanic voters
CBS: Saddam challenges Bush to debate
|Back to the top|