Israel to withdraw from two West Bank towns
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Israel will withdraw its troops from the West Bank towns of Bethlehem and Beit Jala on Saturday, a move spurred by talks with Palestinian officials and intense international pressure.
The agreement came during a trilateral meeting Friday involving Israeli and Palestinian officials and U.S. mediators, more than a week after Israeli forces swept into six Palestinian towns following the assassination of Tourism Minister Rehaven Ze'evi.
"Israel intends to withdraw from the Palestinian areas when and where the Palestinian Authority decides to observe the cease-fire," Raanan Gissin, a spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, said earlier Friday.
Another high-level meeting will be held Sunday to discuss Israel's withdrawal from the four other Palestinian areas in the West Bank, Israeli and Palestinian security officials said.
The agreement followed another day of violence, with three Palestinians killed as they tried infiltrate a Jewish settlement in Gaza, according to Israeli military and Palestinian sources.
The Izzedine El Kassam brigades of the Hamas military wing claimed responsibility for the attempt to penetrate the settlement of Dugit, on the northern Gaza strip.
"The IDF force identified three armed Palestinians near the settlement, charged towards them and killed them," an Israel Defense Forces spokesman said.
Israel radio reported that the electronic fence surrounding the settlement in northern Gaza was cut, sending a signal that alerted Israeli soldiers.
The three dead have been identified as Iyad Al-Batsh, 21, Othnan Razayna, 23, and Fuad El-Dahshan, 17. Five other Palestinians died in West Bank gunfire Thursday.
Palestinian officials condemned Ze'evi's killing and said they had arrested 33 members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, which claimed responsibility for the killings. The Palestinian Authority has also outlawed the PFLP's military branch.
But Israel said its military action was necessary because it did not feel the Palestinian Authority was doing enough to round up Ze'evi's killer or killers. More than 40 Palestinians have been killed during the past week. U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell has called on Israel to withdraw from the Palestinian areas of the West Bank and said that targeted assassinations and retaliatory strikes would only make the situation even more volatile.
"All you have to do is look at the events of the past several days to see that things get worse," Powell said.
In addition, the United States called on Palestinian Authority leader Yasser Arafat to arrest those responsible for last week's assassination.
Other nations have also been pressuring Israel to pull back its troops, urging both sides to return to the peace table. German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer met Friday with Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat after meeting Thursday with a consortium of diplomats.
Israeli troops raid Palestinian town
October 24, 2001
Bush urges Israel to leave Palestinian areas
October 23, 2001
U.S. demands Israeli withdrawal
October 22, 2001
Thirty-three PFLP members arrested
October 19, 2001
Palestinian police: Israeli army in Bethlehem
October 18, 2001
Palestinian sources: Third Hamas member dies in 3 days
October 16, 2001
Blair greets Arafat in London
October 15, 2001
Palestine Red Crescent Society
Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Israel Defense Forces
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
WORLD TOP STORIES:
Blix: 'Iraq could do more'
N. Korea warns of nuclear conflict
Serb hardliner refuses to plead
NASA: Flight-deck video found
Caracas tense after bombs
|Back to the top|