World victims among NY dead
LONDON, England (CNN) -- Nations across the globe are reporting that many of their citizens are among the thousands dead and missing in the U.S. terror attacks.
The vast majority of those who have been confirmed dead were travelling on either of the two planes that slammed into the World Trade Center twin towers in New York on Tuesday.
Some countries are not even beginning to estimate the number of its dead.
New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani says more than 4,700 people, of all nationalities, are missing.
About 100 Britons are known to have died in the New York attacks, and the final toll could reach the "middle hundreds" if not higher, UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said.
Hundreds of Britons are believed to have been working in the twin towers of the World Trade Center when they were destroyed, many in banks and other financial institutions.
Acting Australian Prime Minister John Anderson said three of its citizens who had died had been on one of the Boston planes that crashed into the twin towers.
The government is trying to trying to confirm whether a further six had been on the plane. About 75 are still missing.
Germany has said four of its dead were on the planes.
Ireland has confirmed two of its people had been plane passengers.
Switzerland's foreign ministry said at least two of its nationals, a married couple, were victims of the plane hijack. Four other Swiss nationals had been in the World Trade Center at the time of the attacks, listed now as missing.
Up to 300 were listed missing, though that figure was expected to fall, a spokesman for the ministry said.
Japan reports that it has 100 nationals still unaccounted for. Two are believed to have been airline passengers.
Some 20 Japanese companies had offices at the World Trade Center. They included many of Japan's biggest banks, such as the trust operations of Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank and Chuo Mitsui.
Fuji Bank & Trust operated on four floors in 2 World Trade Center. A spokesman said on Wednesday afternoon that 12 out of 125 Japanese expatriate employees were missing. The rest had checked in and are safe.
Around 90 percent of the 500 local U.S. employees had been located, he said. "We hope the rest are OK," he said.
Office workers were seen falling or jumping from the Twin Towers before they collapsed.
Asahi Bank Ltd. had 94 employees in its New York branch on the 60th floor of 1 World Trade Center. All 94 are alive, the company said Wednesday.
A spokesman said he was unsure how the employees got out of the building but they have all been accounted for."
Also, 27 South Koreans were listed as missing. One Korean was on the hijacked United Airlines plane from Boston. Kim Ji-soo was headed to Los Angeles to visit her grandmother.
Notimex, the Mexican news agency, is reporting that there were 100 to 150 Mexicans working at the World Trade Center and at least 12 cannot be accounted for.
China Daily's Web site said 11 out of 18 Chinese businesses scattered across the WTC had tabs on their staff.
South Korea has confirmed one dead, a professor at Boston University's medical school who was flying to visit her 83-year-old grandmother in Los Angeles. Kim Ji-soo, 37, had been flying with her American husband and their two-year-old daughter.
The Irish Times newspaper reported a story of how a man at the World Trade Center survived but his sister and a niece were in one of the planes that hit the tower.
John Clifford of Cork told the Times that his brother Ronnie, 47, survived but his sister Ruth McCourt, 45, and her 4-year-old daughter Juliana died.
The two boarded a flight in Boston bound for Los Angeles. The woman and her daughter lived in Connecticut, Clifford told the Times.
In the UK, Straw said Scotland Yard's casualty bureau was in the process of contacting the families of the dead.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Straw said: "I understand that the number of confirmed British deaths is now approaching 100.
"The total number of British deaths is unlikely to be less than the middle hundreds and may be higher."
Straw also said British forces were in a state of readiness for any response to the attacks but said he did not wish to discuss what action might be taken.
He said NATO and the U.N. Security Council were both resolved to do whatever was necessary to bring those responsible, and those who were harbouring them, to account for their part in the attacks.
Earlier, Scotland Yard said it had received a "massive" number of calls from anxious relatives.
Prime Minister Tony Blair's official spokesman said: "It is difficult to predict with any certainty, but what is becoming clear is that the death toll of British citizens is likely to run into the hundreds."
|Back to the top||
© 2001 Cable News Network LP, LLLP.
An AOL Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines. Contact us.