ETA blamed for Madrid explosions
MADRID, Spain -- Spanish officials are blaming the Basque separatist group ETA for two explosions in the capital, Madrid.
Property was damaged but no-one was hurt in the blasts, which happened about an hour apart on Monday afternoon in a northern part of the city.
CNN's Madrid bureau chief Al Goodman said the first explosion was limited as only the detonator went off.
It happened inside a small, French-made car as another vehicle was driving past. Police have not revealed who was in the passing vehicle but say the occupants escaped unhurt.
Goodman says police believe ETA operatives then drove a second car about a kilometre (half a mile) away and blew up the bomb, which contained about 30 kilos of dynamite.
The force of that blast sent the roof of the car onto a basketball court in a nearby park.
No-one has yet admitted responsibility.
ETA has been blamed for 24 killings since ending a ceasefire in December 1999 and often uses bombs hidden in cars.
A navy cook, killed by a car bomb in the Basque city of San Sebastian last month, is believed to have been the group's first victim this year.
Thousands join anti-ETA march
The Association for Peace
U.S. 'ready to talk' with N. Korea
Death toll nears 1,000 in South Asia's cold spell
IAEA: Year for Iraq inspections
U.S. doubles forces in Persian Gulf
Mugabe resignation offer proposed
OPEC to raise daily oil output
N. Y. plans to heal skyline
Stocks rise on Case departure
Lieberman's presidential announcement today
New arrests may be linked to UK ricin scare
Jordan says farewell for the third time
Shaq could miss playoff game for child's birth
Ex-USOC official says athletes bent drug rules
|Back to the top|