Bomb threat clears Malaysia's Petronas Towers
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia -- The world's tallest buildings, the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, have been evacuated following a reported bomb threat in the wake of the terrorist attacks in the United States.
The twin towers, which dominate the skyline of the Malaysian capital, were cleared Wednesday morning after a telephone threat warned that a bomb would explode at 0900 local time, police said.
Reports quote police officials as saying they now suspect the call was a prank, but said they were taking no chances following the attacks in New York and Washington.
The attacks in New York City began shortly before 0900 local time Tuesday.
Police told Reuters the call had been traced to a public phone booth, adding that the caller had given no other details on the threat.
Some 6,000 office workers inside the building at the time were reported to have left the building calmly as police began their search operation.
"We had to walk down and leave the building," Tarajit Singh, a finance supervisor for Petronas told Reuters.
"I walked down 58 floors. Only those who were sickly or expecting got to use the elevators."
The evacuation was initially described as a safety drill, but evacuees were informed of the bomb threat when they reached ground level.
The 88-storey buildings, named after the Malaysian state oil company, were formally opened in 1996 and soar 452 meters (1,483 feet) into the sky.
See related sites about World
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
WORLD TOP STORIES:
Blix: 'Iraq could do more'
N. Korea warns of nuclear conflict
Serb hardliner refuses to plead
NASA: Flight-deck video found
Caracas tense after bombs
|Back to the top|