Skip to main content /WORLD
CNN.com /WORLD
CNN TV
EDITIONS






Burundi clashes leave 10 Hutu dead

BUJUMBURA, Burundi (Reuters) -- Burundi's Tutsi-dominated army said on Wednesday it had killed more then 10 ethnic Hutu rebels and captured one after heavy fighting in the south of the country in the past five days.

"We saw more than 10 rebel bodies," a military commander told Reuters by telephone. "We managed to capture one of them alive."

Aid workers in the area said there had been heavy fighting in the southern province of Makamba since the weekend, with many civilians fleeing from the countryside towards the town of Makamba.

Burundi's eight-year civil war has intensified in recent weeks despite the inauguration of a transitional power-sharing Tutsi-Hutu government on November 1.

The new administration is aimed at ending an ethnic conflict that has claimed some 200,000 mostly civilian lives since 1993.

The two main Hutu rebel groups have refused to agree to a cease-fire, saying they were not involved in negotiations for a peace agreement mediated by former South African President Nelson Mandela and signed by the main political parties more than a year ago.



 
 
 
 



RELATED SITES:
See related sites about World
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.


 Search   

Back to the top