Intern search to expand to landfills, trash bins
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Authorities have added landfills and trash bins to their list of places to look for clues to the whereabouts of 24-year-old Chandra Levy, a former federal Bureau of Prisons intern who police say has probably been missing since May 1.
A police source supervising the investigation told CNN computer records show Levy was in her apartment on May 1. Police originally said she disappeared April 30, but an analysis of the laptop computer in Levy's apartment found she sent an e-mail message on May 1, the source said. She was last reported seen April 30 at her Washington gym.
Assistant District of Columbia Police Chief Terrance Gainer said dogs specially trained to detect cadavers will be brought to landfills and dumpsters serving the apartment and vicinity where Levy lived. The search will likely begin later this week or early next week.
Police have said they have no clues to indicate Levy might be dead but want to be thorough and are looking for any clues to her disappearance. They continue to insist the case is a missing persons investigation, not a criminal investigation.
Levy's landlord in April allowed her to break her contract for what she said was a planned return to her parents' home in Modesto, California.
Her parents, Susan and Robert Levy, have continued a nationwide search campaign to find their daughter. Investigators have met with the Levys and have questioned their daughter's former co-workers and friends, including her hometown congressman, Rep. Gary Condit, D-California.
The Levys have hired attorney William Martin, whose private investigators last week began following up on leads police have been pursuing.
The 53-year-old Condit,speaking through spokesmen, has acknowledged a friendship with Levy but has denied any implied romantic relationship with her.
D.C. police and the FBI are trying to arrange for the FBI to interview Condit's wife, Carolyn, in California.
Meanwhile, Condit received some unsolicited advice from the mayor of his hometown of Modesto on Monday.
Mayor Carmen Sabatino told CNN it is not "unusual behavior" for Condit to avoid the press, because he "doesn't talk to the local newspaper nor does he talk to local radio shows."
But Sabatino said it is time for the congressman to speak out.
"With all of the pressure now, it would seem that the more insistent the press is to get a comment from him," Sabatino said, "the more imperative for him to speak out."
The mayor, who has known Condit for a "few decades," said the congressman will be in town Wednesday to take part in a Fourth of July parade.
"I can tell you that the people of Modesto still support the congressman," he said. "I think the people of Modesto are still waiting for more information and more facts."
CNN Correspondent Bob Franken contributed to this report.
|Back to the top|