Skip to main content /TRAVEL
CNN.com /TRAVEL
CNN TV
EDITIONS


U.S. cautions against 'increased' travel risk



WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Citing an "increased risk" for Americans abroad, the State Department reissued a worldwide caution following the indictment of 14 suspects in the Khobar Towers bombing, State Department officials told CNN.

The warning, issued Friday, reflected new information about increased threats to Americans overseas, a senior official said.

"We learned that Americans abroad may be at increased risk" since the Khobar Towers indictments, he said.

RELATED STORY
U.S. reacts to heightened terror threat  
 
RESOURCE
U.S. State Department travel warnings and announcements  
 

On May 29 the State Department issued a worldwide caution after the conviction of defendants connected with the bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. That warning said that "Americans citizens abroad may be the target of a terrorist threat from extremist groups" with links to Saudi exile Osama bin Laden, believed to be the mastermind of the bombings.

A general worldwide caution had been in effect since the bombing of the USS Cole in Yemen last October.






RELATED SITES:
See related sites about Travel
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.


 Search   

Back to the top