Analysis: Who made the White House guest list?
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Steven Spielberg made the list. He and his wife Kate Capshaw-Spielberg were recent guests of the Clintons at the White House, according to a list released Friday.
And, they also gave a total of $30,000 to Hillary Clinton's political committees since she started running for the Senate, public records show.
But the first lady's biggest donor did not make the list. Money manager Jack
Dreyfus has not been a recent White House guest, yet he's given $250,000 to her
The White House on Friday released a list of 361 people who have been guests at the White House or Camp David since July 1 of last year, when the first lady began her "listening tour" of New York.
Most of those on the list gave nothing -- but several did -- and the White House said that shouldn't be surprising.
"Who do you expect you would go to when you're running for office other than your friends?" White House spokesman Joe Lockhart said during a briefing Friday.
Among the guests who were also big donors -- old friend Erskine Bowles, the former White House chief of staff. He and his wife Crandall gave $52,000 total.
Other big donors who were recent guests: Richard and Lisa Perry, who gave more than $58,000; Philip Levine, who gave $35,000; Kenneth and Jill Iscol: who gave $33,000; and Haim and Cheryl Saban, who donated $32,100.
But the vast majority of the first lady's biggest financial supporters were not on the list of recent guests -- including the ten largest donors. And most of those who were guests did not give anything.
Former CNN President Rick Kaplan was a guest, but gave nothing.
Former CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite also was a guest. He also gave nothing.
And many of the guests who did give were not major contributors, like music producer Quincy Jones, who gave $2,000, and comedian Chevy Chase, who also gave $2,000.
The White House did not release the dates any of the guests stayed, so it is not possible to compare those dates with when donations were given.
The campaign manager for Hillary Clinton's Senate opponent, Rick Lazio, issued a statement saying, "We demand that Mrs. Clinton release the dates. New Yorkers deserve to know if she was there, 'getting to know' these big donors, or if they were merely renting out these taxpayer-owned monuments like a cheap motel."
The Clinton campaign issued a statement saying, "There has not been any quid pro quo for contributions, and less than 1 percent of the campaign's contributors have stayed overnight."